The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) 187 visa is a special programme designed to fill labour shortages in rural areas by allowing regional employers to sponsor skilled foreign nationals to fill positions in their businesses.
At Queensland Migration Practice, we help our clients by working with both employers and foreign nationals to submit a decision-ready application, and by providing ongoing support throughout the migration process.
What is a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme 187 Visa?
Whether you are a highly skilled overseas worker looking to relocate to Australia or a temporary resident in Australia who is seeking to extend your stay, you can apply for the 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa.
Holders of an RSMS 187 visa get a job in regional Australia, sponsored by a company, which they must work in for at least 2 years from the date the government issues their visa.
There are three subclasses, or “streams” that these visas fall under, and applicants must only choose to apply for one stream. The three Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) 187 visa streams are:
- Direct Entry
- Temporary Residence Transition
How to Apply for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (187)
Application for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme 187 visa is a three-step process:
- The employer applies for approval via an approved regional certifying body.
- The regional employer nominates you to fill a skilled position in their business.
- You then apply for a visa under your nominated stream.
Which RSMS Visa Stream to Apply For
Which visa stream you apply for will depend on your individual circumstances:
- Have never worked in Australia, or have only worked in Australia for a short time or;
- Are lodging their application outside of Australia.
In addition to the requirement to work for a minimum of 2 years in their nominated occupation for their sponsoring company, there are additional requirements under this stream:
- The English language requirements for this stream are higher than those of the Transition Stream.
- Those applying for trade occupations might also need to pass a skills assessment to show that they have the qualifications, experience and skills needed to qualify for work in their nominated occupation.
This stream is designed for 457 visa holders who have worked full-time in Australia for two years with the regional employer who wants to sponsor them. Applicants must commit to an additional two years of full-time work for the employer in their nominated occupation. Those under Labour Agreements are not eligible to apply for this stream.
What are the Benefits of Holding a 187 Visa?
RSMS 187 visas are highly sought after, as they offer many benefits to successful applications. Some of the advantages of holding a Regional Sponsorship visa include:
- The ability to reside in Australia indefinitely
- The right to work or study in Australia
- Access to Medicare – Australia’s comprehensive health care system
- The ability to sponsor relatives for permanent residence (if eligibility requirements are met)
- The ability to travel in and out of the country unimpeded for five years after the visa’s issue date
Where is Classified as “Regional Australia”?
Working in regional Australia does not mean that you have to live in a remote area. All of Australia is classified as “regional” except for:
- The Gold Coast
Queensland Migration Practice will help you choose the area that’s best suited to your lifestyle and career so that you’ll be happy to call Australia home.
Main Requirements for Temporary Skilled Work Visa Applicants
To be eligible to get any of the Regional Sponsored Permanent Residence visas, you must meet some basic governmental requirements. These include:
- Obtaining nomination from an approved Australian employer for a position in a regional area
- Ensuring you do not wait more than 6 months between obtaining nomination and applying for your visa
- Being less than 45 years of age at the time of applying (some exemptions do apply)
- Meeting the skills, qualifications and English language requirements (some exemptions do apply)
- Meeting any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements that working in your chosen occupation in the state you will live in demands
- Passing all of your health and character checks
- Ensuring you apply for the stream you’ve been nominated for
Confidently meeting all of the standards set by the Department of Immigration can be very stressful. But, with the help of our immigration experts, you’ll be able to rest assured knowing that every aspect of your application is above and beyond what is expected.
How Queensland Migration Practice Can Help You
Do you want to obtain a Regional Skilled Migration Scheme 187 visa but don’t want to waste your time and money on an application that gets declined?
At Queensland Migration Practice, our skilled advisors have helped thousands of foreign workers make their visa dreams a reality by using our expertise to assist in the following ways:
We’ll help you identify exemptions that may apply to you, and apply for them accordingly.
For instance, you may be eligible for age-limit exemptions if you are:
- A senior academic
- A scientist, researcher or technical specialist
- A medical practitioner who has been working for your nominating employer for 4+ years
- The holder of a 444 New Zealand Citizen or subclass 461 New Zealand citizen’s family member visa
- A highly paid sponsored employee that’s been working for 4+ years in Australia
- Subject to a special labour agreement
Or, you may be eligible for English language proficiency exemptions if:
- You earn wages taxed at the top individual income rate
- You have a passport from New Zealand, Canada, the USA, the UK or Ireland
- You’re applying under the Transition stream and have completed 5 years of study with all tuition in English
At Queensland Migration Practice, we know the inner workings of the immigration department and will help you submit an exemption application that has the best chance of a positive outcome.
The documents we’ll help you obtain and prepare include:
- Certified copies of identification papers
- Certified translations of non-English documents
- Required police certificates or background checks
- Proof of industry certification, registration or licensing
- Employer references and resumes
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Submit an Expression of Interest through the government’s SkillSelect service. The government and employers can then see your EOI details and nominate you if you wish.
- Find an employer using our strong connections with various regional companies.
Working for your sponsoring employer and living in regional Australia for two years are the major requirements of the RSMS 187 visa. If, for any reason, your living or working situation changes during this time, you’ll need to let immigration know. Queensland Migration Practice can advise as to the best steps to take should your circumstances change.
Contact Queensland Migration Practice Today
Are you interested in securing a 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa?
We are here to walk you through all of the steps, from matching you with a suitable sponsoring company, through to guiding you through the application process and providing ongoing support for all of your future visa requirements.
It is important to note that there are significant changes that will be implemented to Subclass 187 visa. For this reason, if you are planning to lodge a Subclass 187 visa application, we suggest to get in contact with our office as soon as possible.
Want to know more? Get in touch with QLD Migration Practice for a complete evaluation of all of your visa options, and answers to any questions you have about the information on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Pick up the phone and dial (07) 3184 9152 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our consultants will give you the information you need to start on the road to achieving your Regional Sponsored Permanent Residence visa.