If an Australian business has applied for approval as a Standard Business Sponsor and has nominated you to perform an occupation in their business listed on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List, then the next step is for you to apply for your 457 visa.
You must provide sufficient documents to support your application for a subclass 457 visa.
If you fail to do so, your application may be refused.
Please note that this checklist is provided as a guide and should not be relied upon without first seeking professional advice regarding your individual circumstances.
Your Occupation and Skills
- Qualification certificates (professional and educational).
- References from previous employers. These should be on the letterhead of the employer and include:
- the name, title and contact details of the referee
- details of your position and dates of service.
- Your curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé, covering at least the last five years, showing:
- full employment and educational history
- dates and positions held
- the name, title and contact details of referees.
- Please note that you may be required to obtain a Skills Assessment in your nominated occupation. Additionally, if your occupation requires registration, licensing or professional membership, you must provide evidence that shows you hold, or will be able to meet, necessary registration and licensing requirements.
English Language Skills
- Documents to show your level of English language proficiency, including either:
- an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test score of at least 5 overall and not less than 4.5 in each of the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening, or
- a score of at least ‘B’ in each of the four components of an Occupational English Test (OET).
- If you are seeking an exemption from the English language requirement on the basis of completion of five continuous years of study at a secondary or higher institution where the instruction was in English, provide the following information:
- name and location of the institution/s
- level of qualification/s
- official transcript from the secondary or tertiary institution
- number of contact hours of instruction per week delivered in English
- number of years of continuous study.
- Copies of the biographical pages of the current passports of all people included in the application
- If there are any differences in the names or dates of birth of anyone included in your application between birth certificate, passport, the application form, or other supporting documentation: evidence of how the change occurred (for example, deed poll certificate or statutory declaration for minor variations).
- Evidence of any additional applicants dependent status such as marriage certificate, birth certificate etc.
Evidence of health insurance
You must provide evidence of adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia, such as a certification letter from your health insurer or broker or evidence that you have enrolled with Medicare if your country has a reciprocal health arrangement with Australia.
Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.